Indian-origin Tharman Shanmugaratnam has won the election as the 9th President of Singapore. He has given a crushing defeat to two opponents of Chinese origin. In the voting held on Friday (September 1), 25.3 lakh of the approximately 27 lakh people of Singapore voted and the turnout was 93.4%.
Tharman received 70.4% of the vote, while his opponents Ng Kok Sang received 15.72% and Tan Kin Lian 13.88%.
Who is Tharman Shanmugaratnam?
Thurman was born on 25 February 1957 in Singapore. His grandfather had migrated from Tamil Nadu and settled in Singapore. Tharman’s father Prof.K. Shanmugaratnam was. Who was a medical scientist. Who is considered the father of pathology in Singapore.
Cambridge economist Thurman has been a ‘policy maker’ of Singapore. He is known for openly presenting the views of countries like Singapore and India on the global forum.
Tharman Shanmugaratnam Wife
Thurman’s wife, Jane Itogi, is of Chinese-Japanese descent. She met him in Cambridge. He has a daughter and 3 sons.
Tharman Shanmugaratnam Son
- Akash – Co-founder of software tech company Kryon Data.
- Whereas Krishna is a student of Economics.
- Arjun is a student of Singapore American School.
Tharman Shanmugaratnam daughter | Maya shanmugaratnam | Maya shanmugaratnam instagram
- Tharman Shanmugaratnam’s daughter’s name is Maya she is a lawyer by profession.
Thurman was the third Indian president
- Thurman is the first Indian to be voted into the presidency. At the same time, Singapore has become the third President of Indian origin. Devan Nair, who was elected to Parliament in 1981, became the President. S. R. Nathan served as President for 11 years from 1999 to 2011. He was elected unopposed. Since 1991, the general public elects the President by voting.